My Coronavirus Story

It’s taken me a couple of weeks to build up the mental energy to write this post but I’ve wanted to share this in case it’s useful for you or anyone you know, and to document my experience during this weirdest of weird times in the world - one that I’m sure we won’t forget.

I’m finally recovering from coronavirus (very slowly) and getting my strength back. Did I get tested? No. So how do I know I had coronavirus? Well until I can get a test to confirm that I had it, I won’t be 100% certain, but I’m 99% certain.

Plus I’ve never been so ill, for so long. It was properly shit.

I had lots people reaching out to me with their healing vibes and good wishes for which I was very grateful. I also had a few messages from people who were surprised that I got it.

Me, of all people, the nutritionist who’s always wanging on about green smoothies and whatnot. It just goes to show that ANYONE can get this virus. I was particular surprised because I literally did not leave the house after they closed the schools here on March 13th and I got really sick in the first week of April.

What you might not know is that - although I’m ‘healthy on the outside’ and yes I’m very vocal about smoothies, and salads, and nourishment - I have an autoimmune condition (Hashimoto’s) which may well have put me at greater risk for contracting the disease given that my immune system is constantly attacking itself.

In addition to this, I recently had my thyroid tested and it had slipped back into the underactive range so there was definitely something wonky going on there.

Of course there’s no knowing if that had any impact but it’s possible.

I suspect that I caught it before the schools shut. When I was still going out - so it's no wonder it spread like wildfire with people milling about unaware they actually had (or have) it.

I had been unwell on and off for a few weeks - I was floored by fatigue and a crashing headache for a few days - but bounced back and carried on as normal. I didn't have the 'fever' or 'new cough' so I assumed it was something else, probably stress-related... but I've heard of similar symptoms from others.

But once the cough took hold that was it. Game over. Sent to bed.

I spoke to an extremely helpful and friendly nurse and then a clinician over the phone who confirmed it was highly likely that I had Covid-19. I was told to self-isolate for 7 days and that the rest of the family would have to self-isolate for 14 days. Well I certainly self-isolated for longer than that… more like a month. If not more!

Up until then, my husband had been popping out the to the shops for food but he would not able to do that anymore. We couldn’t get an online delivery slot.

We were extremely fortunate to have friendly neighbours who went and got us some basics and kind friends who brought me some medicine from the pharmacy as recommended by the amazing NHS doctor.

My mum (who is over 70 - sorry mum! - and who should not have left her own house) drove up the M1 to deliver me some chicken soup as any good Jewish mother would. I don’t think it's in her DNA to have even considered not doing that. Plus I suspect she was desperate to have something useful to do. My mother is not one to sit still.

The famous chicken soup

I leaned out of my bedroom window to speak to her - weak and tired - and ached not to be able to hug my mummy when I was at one of my lowest points. I don’t think she found it particularly easy either, but I was so so grateful for the chicken soup and have no doubt its healing powers aided in my recovery.

I didn’t leave my bedroom for almost two weeks.

For a few days - at the height of the cough when I wasn’t sleeping as I was hacking up my guts up all night - I was quite scared.

The 111 doctor had told me if I started to get breathless or had trouble breathing to get back in touch immediately and not to let it get to the point where it would have been an emergency.

I had a couple of episodes where I wasn’t sure if I was on the edge of heading towards an emergency or not.

I had to stop watching the news and looking at the statistics. They were just freaking me out. And the anxiety was not helping my breathing.

It was hard to receive texts from family and friends each day asking how I was and not to be able to deliver any more positive news from one day to the next. I was either worse, or about the same, but for days there was no improvement. I so desperately wanted to say I felt 1% better.

But I was one of the lucky ones. I managed to stay at home, I didn’t need to go to hospital, I was able stay in my room and rest while my amazing husband held the fort here bringing me three meals a day on a tray, and endless hot drinks on demand.

As sick as I was, every day I was grateful for the privileged position I was in.

Grateful for my bed.

Grateful for my room.

Grateful for healing food brought to me by my loving husband.

Grateful it was the Easter holidays and we didn’t have any home schooling to do (we wouldn’t have done it anyway!).

Grateful for Netflix.

Grateful for my membership community who supported me and understood that I was not able to show up for them, so they showed up for each other.

Grateful I didn’t end up in hospital.

Grateful to be alive.

Just one of the delicious meals my hubby brought me

Now I’m better and regaining my strength I can share some of the things that I was doing over those weeks that I believe made a difference to how I healed. I really did throw everything and the kitchen sink at it, and called on my years of nutritional training and experience to to try and heal myself from the inside with natural therapies. Believe me, there were drugs too, but these were supported by the natural remedies.

  1. REST - rest, rest and more rest. And I mean REST. Did I stress that enough? I. Did. Not. Leave. My. Bed! Once, I came downstairs to make myself a cup of tea and quickly regretted it. I spent so much time in my bed I don’t think my mattress will ever recover (and it’s a memory foam mattress!!). I made my new best friends in the form of the Rose family of Schitt’s Creek who I quickly became obsessed with. All 5 seasons. I laughed, I cried, I coughed. The best thing on TV for a long, long time. David’s piercing sarcasm and Moira’s outfits and one-liners were my elixirs during all this.

  2. Hot drinks - Lots of hot drinks to soothe the cough. I would have fresh ginger, lemon and honey but I’d pimp it up with a couple of teaspoons of Apple Cider Vinegar to add to the “anti-viralness” of the drink. I really felt this helped.

  3. Essential oils - I had my Neal’s Yard diffuser pumping out smells at all times. I used whatever oils I had in stock and was fortunate to have a good selection - presumably from when I’d had a chest infection a few years ago. I rotated Eucalyptus, Thyme and Lavender - sometimes on their own, sometimes (if I was feeling adventurous) I’d mix them all up. Those smells, however, will always remind me of corona though, so I’m not sure I’ll ever be able to put them in my diffuser again!

  4. Good food - I honestly can’t remember what food I was brought from one day to the next but being brought something healthy and tasty to eat was the highlight of my day (and I never lost my appetite!). Like I said, eternally grateful to my amazing hubby for feeding me three meals day that were always delicious. Plus my mum’s chicken soup played a huge part in my healing thanks to its antiviral and antibacterial properties. You just can’t beat it. And the fact that I was nowhere near the kitchen meant that I was well away from any biscuits or chocolate!

  5. Vitamin C - I was taking 2000-3000mg of vitamin C daily to support my immune system. I took this one

  6. Zinc - also amazing for the immune system. I was taking 25mg daily of this one.

  7. Comvita Manuka Honey Lozenges - These are delicious and really soothing, plus they double up as providing symptomatic relief and immune support. I usually have their elixir if I'm sick but it was out of stock. It really helps to knock any viruses on the head.

A selection of my medicines and remedies!!

I was also taking over the counter medicines to help ease the symptoms, the most helpful being Covonia Nighttime* that the NHS doctor recommended - this enabled me to get a few hours sleep at night as it really did knock me out… (took a few days’ to wean myself off it though…!)

So how am I now? Probably around a month after being properly ill. This is not a ‘bounce back’ kind of illness. Honestly, I’m still regaining my strength and my energy. I’m trying ever so hard not to overdo it, thankfully as we are still in lockdown I don’t really have anywhere to go! But the working from home/homeschooling/kids at home can take it out of you.

Here’s hoping this will all be over soon and whilst I don’t think we’ll ever ‘return to normal’, I am so looking forward to being able to hug people again, and appreciate the simple things like meeting friends for coffee, seeing my family, just being TOGETHER again.

Sending you and your family much love.

Please feel free to share your experiences of coronavirus too.


*Please consult a medical professional before taking any medicines.

**The advice in this blog post does not replace advice given to you by your own medical practitioner.


50% Complete


Pop your details below and we'll send you our free guide to help you ditch the diets