[4/4] Underlying “non-food” reasons for weight gain – Underactive ThyroidJun 29, 2022
Today’s episode brings us to the end of my four-part series on reasons why you might be struggling to lose weight. Today I am talking about a subject that I have first-hand experience of, which is an underactive thyroid.
Thyroid symptoms can affect us in so many different ways which can make it hard to get a correct diagnosis and work out the treatment you need – it certainly took a considerable amount of time for me to get the help I needed. When visiting the doctor, you may end up with a short-term solution to one of the symptoms (such as constipation, low mood, or weight gain) but that’s not dealing with the long-term root cause.
It is really complex which is why I want to share my experience of what I went through so you can get the help you may need. In this episode, I explain what to look out for, how to get a diagnosis, and the potential need for medication. I also share my diet and lifestyle tips that I find help to successfully manage my condition.
“Thyroid issues can often be misdiagnosed because your thyroid hormone is responsible for so many different processes inside the body.”
- Lauren Gayfer
In This Episode:
- Learn the surprising ways thyroid issues can affect us which make it so hard to diagnose.
- Understand some simple science to give you the confidence to ask for investigation into the root cause of your symptoms.
- Learn about my own journey with getting the right diagnosis and finding a treatment that worked for me.
- Discover changes I made to my diet that helped me manage my underactive thyroid.
- Try some simple lifestyle tips that can help improve your overall health.
- If you’re interested in getting your thyroid tested privately, you could try https://medichecks.com/pages/thyroid-health or https://bluehorizonbloodtests.co.uk/collections/thyroid-blood-tests
- For further information on thyroid problems, check out Dr Izabella Wentz’s website: https://thyroidpharmacist.com/
- A great book for more information would be ‘The Thyroid Connection’ by Amy Myers: https://amzn.to/3aJpT55
Connect with Lauren: